Decision

Are we right or wrong, will we ever know ?

Alice will have her right ear implanted with a cochlear implant on the 6th March 2009.  Even when we were writing the email to confirm, we weren’t sure….

However, our reasoning is sound, her doctors agree and we can always add another ear soon after. 

It came down to 3 simple facts.  Alice does not need bilaterals to start her journey into hearing / sound.  She does need a positive experience.  Focusing on 1 ear and 1 CI allows us time to get her used to wearing it and used to the new world, without the stress and worry of trying to do both.  It also allows for the faint possibility of her left ear improving. 

So now its anti-bac handwash everytime we enter the house, its no parties, playgroups, swimming or fun. Its keep her safe and most importantly well and focus on getting those aids back on.  Bribery and diligence are key.

What Would You Do?

So we have the surgery date confirmed, subject to Alice not contracting any nasties over the next three weeks. We sat down with David Selvadurai yesterday for a good hour discussing thoughts on the way forward.

David has suggested that Alice is a good candidate for bilateral implantation, but his thoughts are that, on the off chance that her ANSD does improve over the next 9-12 months, that we do these sequentially rather than simultaneously to preserve the one good ear for as long as possible.

That said there are pros to having them both done at the same time.

So the choice is really in our hands. Given the new NICE guidelines, as Alice has been approved funding for one CI, they (so far as I am aware) will have to fund a second and, if truth be known, would probably rather they be done simultaneously as there is a cost benefit to this.

However, there is the thought of the surgery being five hours rather than two and a half with the complications this might bring, together with the complexities of settling Alice with two CIs when, as mentioned in previous posts, she has become terrified of her ears being played with and rarely wears her aids these days. David tried to check in Alice’s ears yesterday and witnessed how sensitive she has become at first hand – she was having none of it!

I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer to this. Mind you, it is still us who have to make the decision.

It’s not like having surgery for a life threatening illness – ‘do this or you’ll die’. Having a CI at all is a choice complicated by the further choice of one or two? Simultaneously or sequentially?

I’m buggered if I know the answer – what would you do?

%d bloggers like this: